Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sentence Edit of the Day: Unnecessary Words

A friend and I once had a conversation about the phrase "I'm the type of person who ..."—and what an annoying thing it was to hear. We decided that someone who explains himself or herself by saying, "I'm the type of person who ..." is likely a simple, not-very-self-aware person. My friend added that a person who precedes that phrase with the phrase "One thing you'll learn about me is that ..." is even more eye-rollingly annoying (for instance, "One thing you'll learn about me is that I'm the type of person who tells it like it is").

Another friend then noted, witheringly, "You're the type of people who look down their noses at the type of person who says he's a type of person."

It's true.

I was reminded of this conversation again today, when I made an edit I make a lot: removing the phrase "someone who":

Are you someone who struggles with procrastination?

Why couldn't it be, simply:

Do you struggle with procrastination?

I'm the type of person who thinks it could and should.


No comments: